I’ve been working on the same easy project for months because either one, I didn’t have enough time to finish it in one go, or two, I was just simply never home. I live in a duplex with another friend and since my bedroom is entirely too small for me to do anything in it, I decided to make use of the basement by transforming it into a craft work station. Since it’s an older home with very little upkeep, there isn’t a whole lot I can do to begin with without having to spend money on things I obviously wouldn’t get to keep (since I’m renting), I decided to just work with what I had on hand.
P.S. All pictures are pretty awful. I have an iPhone with a slight mark in the camera lens, bear with me.
There are a set of poorly done shelves against the wall, which aren’t really fixable unless I take the whole thing apart and rebuild it, which in reality, if I hopefully only stay in this place for one more year, it’s not really worth the trouble. It does hold my crafts supplies and other materials well enough though, since I don’t have anything particularly heavy. I did start repainting the shelves with the paint that was already there, just to make it bearable to look at. There is an additional cupboard in the back-end of the section, which I will also repaint when it’s not negative degrees down there (C’mon spring!)
On top of all that, I got some free rugs from the boy, who had them leftover, and I got a sturdy small desk for $5 at the Construction Junction warehouse! All in all, working with what I had on hand has been going pretty smoothly for an amateur work station and definitely gives me better ideas for future spaces when I move. The best and worst part of what I ended up doing the desk made me ridiculously happy, and other people weren’t impressed. I came across some Hard Cover Mod Podge that is used for furniture, and decided ‘Why not just redo the surface of the desk with book pages and color pictures of inspirational things?’ I got some super cheap old books for a couple bucks at the PGH Creative Reuse Center and begun my project by tearing out pages after pages of things I liked.
This part took the longest because to apply the Mod Podge, it was recommended to do at least 5 layers with a 15-20 min break between each, wiped, sandpaper with super fine grit, wipe again, steel wool down, and wipe again. I finally did all of this last night, and it did take me a few hours to finish it up (as well as finishing BBC’s The Office Xmas special so I could move on with my life past Tim and Dawn). I’m pretty satisfied with the end results, especially for my first real desk I was able to play around with. Obviously in the future, I will look into getting a better looking one that has drawers, but I foresee this desk having a special place in my heart for quite some time.
I look forward to seeing what creations come out of this.